August 4, 2012
I have this love-hate relationship with gardening. I love the taste of fresh home-grown fruits and veggies. I love having them outside in MY garden. I HATE weeding. It ranks right up there with filing at work. I avoid it at all costs.
This year, again, the weeds overtook. I think we have super bad soil because it grows weeds better than anything else. The grass doesn't even grow that well. Okay, so our sprinklers are broken which means the watering is manual with a hose and I just can never seem to remember to get out there and water the lawn. We have a BIG yard, too.
Steven and I finally took some time to weed. It was a pain in the you-know-what, but we got it done. We had already done it one other time this year and only got 2/3rds done. So, the part that had the weeding done earlier, has big massive plants growing. The part we missed. Teeny plants. Our acorn squash didn't survive once we pulled the weeds. Our zucchini is so tiny that it has only produced two zucchinis.The two of four tomato plants on the non-weeded side are wimpy. Oh well. One of these years we'll get it right.
Took about 3 hours, but we did it!
The sad part is that it's only been a month and the weeds are starting to come back. I'm half tempted to let them win this year.
The survivors?
Mexican Zucchini (sweeter)
two tomato plants
Anaheim pepper plants
banana squash
pie pumpkins
green beans...what we didn't pull out thinking they were weeds...oops!
Corn.
There's always next year!
2 comments:
your posts are always so fun to read :)...our weeds take over every year too, I seriously hate weeding; i'm thinking of trying preen next year after my plants have started growing-i'll let you know if it works!
I tried the miracle grow version this year and ot was terrible! It almost made the small ground cover weeds worse. I have seen using newspaper and then covering the newspaper w/ top soil. That's going to be my next attempt at a weed barrier. The black ground cover is worthless too.took
Post a Comment