About a month ago, August 20th to be exact, we spent an afternoon visiting a pioneer village called "This is the Place" Heritage Park. I totally thought it would be open till like 8 or 9 p.m....NOPE. Closes at 5. SO, if you plan on going there, be sure to plan ahead better than we did. Overall, having about 2 1/2 hours was plenty for this pregnant Mommy, but not near enough time for two VERY interested children. This visit and their excitement of everything makes me want to research season ticket options. No lie!
This was the first time any of us had been here to participate in all the park activities so we had all kinds of fun!!
Allison saw this wagon statue and couldn't wait to get a photo...and then Isaac wanted one, too...but they didn't want one together. Silly kids
Fam photo outside the gates...this is the Eagle Gate arch...a duplicate is in SLC on State Street...or it used to be. I haven't driven around there in forever to remember if it's still there or not.
Deseret Hospital. Our first stop...Allison's choice...big surprise!
She was thoroughly engrossed in EVERY SINGLE aspect of this hospital. There were beds and wheelchairs and all kinds of medical garb all over. I was going to get a cool photo, but a HUGE group came in and ruined it. Bummer.
Pioneer life. This Pioneer dad was describing sleeping conditions to the kids and the mattresses. Then they got to go outside and help with chores.
They loved it! Allison wanted to do more and more chores to be a pioneer...Hm...maybe I need to rethink how we get chores done at home so I can get more cooperation!!!
Milking the cows...okay, not really, but similar motions involved.
Beating the rugs.
Getting the wool ready for making into yarn/thread.
The schoolhouse. We're ready for our lessons!
Next up, the blacksmith. The kids got to decorate a strip of leather. Thankfully, Isaac has fairly good aim and wasn't hitting too hard...
Riding the train for our tour of the village.
Inside the Native American home.
Panning for gold. Allison even found one!!
The original marker.
I was pretty miserable walking after this excursion. I think I pulled a muscle in my left leg, so between my already sore heel on my right foot (the whole pregnancy) and having a pulled muscle in my left leg, I looked like a cripple for the next 5 days. (notice my nose/face swelling...it's even worse now a month later!)
I am absolutely LOVING it that our kids, Allison especially, are so fascinated with pioneer history. It is making it all the more fun for us to learn more ourselves. Allison is SO into it that every week when we go to the library she finds a new pioneer life type book to read about. What a funny girl!
3 comments:
Fun day for all of you. I love Pioneer Village but haven't been there for a very long time. Time to go back, I think! Loved the chalk drawings!
K, I totally saw this place ont he way to the zoo and it looked SO COOL. I love all your pictures. And way cute pregnant lady outfit, btw. Denim and orange look great on you!
I love reading about all your fun adventures! It gives some ideas!
How you doing, Lisa? When are you due?
Post a Comment