Monday, May 16, 2011

Road-Trip to Wicked!

This has been a LONG time coming!  Back in the fall of 2010, I happened upon a GREAT deal for tickets to see Wicked, the musical in Boise, Idaho.  We tried so hard to see it when it came to SLC, but were very unlucky...the tickets for the nose-bleed section were 2x as much for each ticket than what we paid.  So, we jumped on it.  To justify spending so much money, we decided to use these tickets as our birthday presents this year.  Allison included.  We've been listening to the soundtrack for a long time now and she knows the words to all the songs and sings loudly!  It's so cute!  

Any-who.  We spent much of Thursday driving the Looooonnnngggg drive to Boise (which just happens to be my birth place and only the 2nd time I'd been back since I was 2 weeks old).   We checked in at our hotel and Allison promptly wanted to go swimming.  Well, the outdoor pool wasn't ready yet, but the hot  tub was and it was BIG, so she went "swimming" in there.  After we got showered and ready to go to dinner pre-show.   We chose to eat at Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine.  BIZARRE and yet soooo yummy!  If you're ever near one, try it out.  
 They have an old truck up on a lift for people to eat in.  Allison was bummed we didn't get there 10 min earlier to pick that spot. Can you see in the back ground the "garage" door...yup.  That's one of the main doors...a gigantic garage type door.  The whole feel was as if we were in an auto body shop.
 That pink fridge behind us...so freakin' cute!  I wanted this picture just for the fridge!  Notice the shower curtains...trailer park all the way!
 More shower curtains and some kind of bench seats on wheels.  I couldn't move w/out rolling around.  How 'bout that couch!?  Totally resembles one my parents had growing up.  See that picture on the wall behind Steven and Allison?  That's Guy Fieri.  I {HEART} Guy!  Some of my favorite recipes I've gotten from him.  Besides, we LOVE watching the show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives".  This restaurant was on that show.  So, now we've been to TWO restaurants that he's featured.  Yeah, we're cool like that!  Heehee!

 Being pregnancy-induced brain dead I forgot to ask our waitress to take our picture, so here we are out in the parking lot using the camera timer again.  Can I just tell you I LOVE that feature!!!
 Then onto the show!  We went to the Morrison Center in Boise.  NO Marquis.  I was bummed.  So, this is what we ended up doing to document our big event together!
 Group photo!  
Allison and Lisa 
 Allison wanted a t-shirt with "Defying Gravity" on it...it's her FAVORITE song. Women's Small was the smallest they had AND it was $40!  Are you freakin' kidding me!?!  So, I let her pick something under $20.  She chose this keychain.  It's Elphaba's witch's hat. She just HAD to have it (and try wearing it)...and now she has her own keychain fully fitted with her own house key now.  Something she's been BUGGING me to have for years!  Allison is also on a kick now where she wants to be Elphaba for Halloween.  With how she sets her mind to things, I'm sure she won't let me forget to get her costume ready!
We are SOOOOO glad we went!  We absolutely LOVED it and would go see it again and again!
Road trip part 2....coming soon!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Awh! This whole trip looks so special! I love it! Eating in a car? Rad@@@@@!!!!!!

P.S. we are HUGE Triple D fans at this house. Apparently there are quite a few SLC places featured.

Julie L said...

Never heard of the diner in all the times we were up there while my son lived there. Man, we totally blew it! Looks super fun.

Sooooo glad you got to go! I still can't figure out why the shows are so pricey in Utah when people can get tickets in even smaller population areas for so much less and better seats, too. My guess is if we all quit going the prices would come down, right? Only I'm not quitting. So I'm no help on that venue. Can't wait for August 2012 when it's coming back to SLC.

Necia said...

We took our older 2 to see it. They loved it! I was forwarned about the price of souvenirs, so I actually went on Amazon and searched for the Wizard of Oz. I found a wicked witch Madame Alexander Doll for around $10. It's the same size as American Girl Dolls and it is Hallie's favorite thing! It's fun to be able to watch kids experience something like this, isn't it?

Kayley said...

Isn't Wicked great?! Paul and I saw it in CA a few years ago.
You sure are beautiful Lisa!