Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Curly-Haired School Girl

It was that time of year again, and Allison really really wanted her hair curly. In the past I've used hot rollers and curling irons to curl hair, but long ago found that "rag rolling" was the BEST way. It just holds the curls longer, especially for hair that is more fine and less prone to holding the curl. When I was younger and playing around with this (yes, all because of "Little Women") I even went as far as cutting strips of actual rag material to use in my hair. Well, it worked, but then I looked like I had a ringlety afro. NOT pretty. Not. That's when I tried other methods and eventually ended with socks. I have to say. I LOVE the sock method. LOVE it. It's WAY more comfortable to sleep in than those foamy pink rollers AND I don't have to find any extra room to store my supplies than my 'ol sock drawer. (Pay NO attention to the deck that needs repainting.....) I was a bit irritated with the outcome of her school pictures...I'm sure you can see why. The picture above is the one I took at home before school. My snapshot turned out MUCH better than the professional pictures below...they're just awful and a whopping $25 bucks for it!!! I even did a bunch of retouching to her glasses to get them to be less light-reflective. Sigh. I'm so grateful I have a sister that is such an amazing photographer. I've now decided that I'll have to pay only enough to get the class photo and then take my kids to my Sister to get their REAL pictures taken! Is that a bad Mom move if I do that? Do kids really NEED to have the traditional crappy school pictures...like a "rite of passage"?

6 comments:

Julie L said...

Love the idea about just getting a class picture and using other photographers, even yourself for the school pix. I was lucky if I even had a class pix growing up, but that is totally okay. I personally never felt deprived. And your kids definitely do not have a dearth of pictures!

Even more, I love the sock roller idea! I have never heard of it. How brilliant can you get????? Her hair is gorgeous. (And she looks so GROWN up!!!!!)

Wish upon a Starr said...

You need to do some step by step photos showing us how to do that. I don't do the curlers very well. I would love to try this.

Kayley said...

How cute is she?! I wonder if that would work for my hair. I try curlers and such and it loses the curl within hours. Could you show or explain it to me? That would be great!

Natalie said...

I'm totally with you on school pictures...HATE THEM! I only buy the class photo and then I take the kids to a REAL photographer for the good ones!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, explain those sock curlers!

Not everyone with a camera is a photographer, even those that get paid lots of money for the photos they take. ;)

I would probably do the same... get the school photo taken, get a class photo, but I would much rather have something else more unique to my kids and their personalities.

But I always looked terrible in school photos. :D

Kara said...

K, I don't think you should HAVE to purchase school photos. Most of them suck anyway. And yes, your picture looked better than the "pro." Bleh. Jayson thinks our kids should have the 'school year photo' every year and that I'll regret not getting it.

Don't think so!