Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering

It's sad to admit, but we hadn't been to see Grandma Jane's burial spot and her headstone since we were there for her burial.  Notice the date.  January 10, 2004.  It's really been THAT long.  I was pregnant at the time with Allison.  VERY pregnant!  She was born about 2 weeks later.  I still remember feeling like a huge whale only able to wear slipper-type flip flops because my feet were swollen to the point of bread loaves, and trudging through the snow.  Everything was beautiful that day, including the freshly fallen snow. 


Grandma Jane was an amazing woman.  I only knew her a short time towards the end of her life, but Steven and his family...they have incredible stories to share.  I love hearing them, too.  I don't know why I felt so strongly that we needed to visit, but I am so grateful we did.  Even as I type this, I'm getting all teary just picturing her face and remembering her loving embrace.  I'm sad I didn't get to know her earlier, that our kids won't have the opportunity to know her either.  
Grandma, 
We love you
And miss you!
Pictured: Top (LtoR) Tom (Steven's Dad), Aunt Peggy Kole
Bottom (LtoR) Grandma, Uncle Don

1 comment:

Kara said...

It's sad when a great person passes away in a family and little people don't get to know them here. I always feel a little sad that my maternal grandmother (favorite!!) died when I was 17 and will never know my children here. I try not to dwell on it. Or I go eat some chocolate. Just kidding.