Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Staycation Day 4, part 1

For day 4, part 1of our staycation, we went to the
(aka. Kennecott Copper). 
Did you know you can SEE this place from the space shuttle.  Really!  I had NO idea! So, as we're driving up what seems like forever up this mountain, we turn the corners and keep driving FOREVER.  Well, not really, but it sure FELT like forever!  I think my ears probably popped something like 10 times!  Ouch!

From a distance I've always thought that the mine was an eyesore, but up close it is so impressive!  I couldn't get over the SIZE of the machines and trucks they use for their work and how massive the mine is!

Something else I didn't quite use my logic and 2 & 2 skills for...
the mine is in the MOUNTAINS...It's October and we're in the MOUNTAINS!
I wore a T-Shirt that day not even thinking it would be so COLD! 
DUH....
Thankfully, we didn't unpack our coats from the day before!  Whew!  Saved by laziness!

We're trying to lift it...pro'lly not fakin' you out, though, eyh?

I just can't get over how MASSIVE these tires are!  They are for those big dump trucks that haul all the rubble...pictured below.  AMAZING!

Allison and Isaac are sitting in the first ever non-human excavator for the old-style mines.

Taking a peek down the mine...it seems to go down there FOREVER!

My sister came with us on this outing and told us about her Sis-in-Law's fiance works as a dump truck driver.  Now mind you, those trucks were inching along so slowly...and she said he only gets TWO(2) trips in a day!  Incredible and so boring!  Wow!

Just to show the comparison in size...that dodge truck was right behind the dump truck...WOWZA!

Driving out of the visitor's center...this is on the East side.  So incredible to see all the different colors up close.

Thanks, Amy, for taking so many great family photos for us and for coming along for the fun! 

Day 4 continued....
Hiking

3 comments:

Kara said...

BCM looks like a cool place to visit....always wanted to check it out. Great pix!

Julie L said...

Great job! I keep saying that I want to go there some day. Wish some day would hurry and get here!

LaurieW said...

We've talked SO MANY TIMES about taking the kids here, and yet we've never done it. Looks like it was awesome!