Saturday, June 27, 2009

It began with a dream...

or day-dream...

one I often have while sitting in church, instead of listening to the lessons being taught, about how svelte I look while running with my now long bleached-blonde hair flapping behind me in my own breeze (as if I look like Reese Witherspoon on an amazingly easy run).

Then one morning I was watching Studio 5 (a local morning talkshow) and the were talking about how to prepare to run for a 5k. See info here. Well in an effort to make my day-dreaming turn into reality, I acted on this bit of info from Studio 5 and began running. It got me all pumped up and ready to go! So, out the door I ran every morning and soon discovered that I enjoyed waking up at 5:30 a.m. to get my run in. In no way was I a runner before, but I have always aspired to be one. Seriously!

Then the unthinkable happened. My year old cross-trainers and my shins just didn't get along anymore. So I bought new shoes...fancy running shoes. They joined our family on a Tuesday. The next day, Wednesday, I got sick...the stomach flu. NASTY stomach flu. Grrr....

A week and a half went by before both I and the kids were well enough to expend any additional energy. We had two glorious days of health, then were struck down again with the dreaded Swine flu and colds! I know what you're saying! I'm saying it too! Arugh...

So, to the race.

My first 5k turned out to be the Lehi Round-up 5k. I {HEART} Lehi and the Round-up Week events! Ever since Steven & I were married and moved to Lehi, we've gone to the Rodeo and the Saturday morning parade. It's like it has become our yearly tradition to welcome summer into the Jensen home. So, this year, in addition to all the other events we participate in...I wanted to add the 5k Run!
We were up at 5:30a.m. and on our way to Lehi by 6:15 a.m.! Yikes!
Here I am stretching.
Running...
Trying to look like I'm not dying for the camera!
Red face is me, not some trick of the camera!
Wahoo! Coming up on the finish line!!!
One last running push....
I made it!
WHOOP! WHOOP!
(LtoR) Jeanna C. (Megan's friend), Megan W. & Me.
It only took me 45 minutes to walk/run my first 5k.


I'm so glad I pushed myself to finish this race. What a wonderful feeling to have accomplished something so big! Now, I'm going to get back to "hitting the pavement" so I can really get my body ready to run the next two I'm registered for!!!

6 comments:

Susan Fisher said...

Good job! Keep it up!! :)

Julie L said...

WhaaHoo!!!!!! Congratulations! And here I was, sound asleep while you were out running just two blocks away! I should be totally ashamed. Great job!

LaurieW said...

Lisa I am BEYOND proud of what you've accomplished! Especially because the rest of us completely pooped out on you. You are truly an inspiration to me!!!♥

Amy said...

Way to go Sis! I love you and I am so proud of you!

Megan said...

I'm so glad I got to be there with you! You are amazing! Keep pushing youself and NEVER EVER give in to the pain! :D Love you!!!

nicole said...

You go girl!! I AM proud!! Thanks for the post on Brooklyn...she is getting so big:( Thanksgiving Point is was fun but I got in for Half off and the ARK was the only water feature. It has other fun activities for the kids...a lighthouse to climb in, a bear cave, and a fish pond. We had a blast:)