Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 5, part 2::Candy Factory, The Bean Museum & the Horse Parade

Before we even ventured to Utah County, we went to the Sweets Factory for a tour of their candy making process.  It was really cool.  Yet again, better to go in the fall when they're really really busy.  Still, it was good.  Just not nearly as many samples and people working as you'd expect. We're candy junkies so the kids got a couple pieces of their favorite taffy flavors. 

After we finished at Bridal Veil Falls, we went to the Bean Museum on BYU campus.  I know.  I can't believe we did it either.  We're SO anti-BYU.  The good news is we survived to tell you all about it and share how amazing this museum really IS.  AND it's FREE!

I mean, it REALLY brought out the animal in (almost)ALL of us...
Steven and the kids LOVED this hippo head.  You could fit all 4 of our heads in that chomper!  Yikes!
The warthog and I MUST be related.
THIS was AWESOME!  A gigantic butterfly created from the bodies of dead butterflies.  Brilliant!  
How incredible is this elephant!?!?!  It was my absolute favorite part.
Fun times, people.  F.U.N!

After the Bean Museum, we went to our all-time favorite summer opener activity.  The Lehi Rodeo!  Oh yeah!  Since the first year Steven and I were married, it's been tradition that we go to the Rodeo and parade.  This year we went on Thursday evening due to Steven's work schedule and didn't go to the Saturday morning parade like we normally do.  Sad times.  The good thing about going Thursday, we found out, is because they also have the HORSE PARADE before the rodeo starts.  For a horse loving 6 year-old girl, this was the BEST BEST BESTEST!
She kept a close eye on all the horses passing and the ages of the riders.  This girl in the front black horse got her all riled up, "But MOM!  SHE can ride a horse!  WHY can't I!!??"  Um, we don't HAVE one, maybe!?!  Silly girl!  I think this parade was far worth it for the kids.

The pony was the favorite for Isaac.  He couldn't believe a horse could be so small and dog-like.  Though I doubt he would ever get that close to it to pet if he ever had the chance.  He's such a timid kid.

The Lehi Silver Band.  I don't even know HOW long this wagon and band has been in the parades, but they're ALWAYS in each parade.

We had a fun-filled day and completely forgot to take ANY pictures of the Rodeo.  Yeah, we're nerds, but when you've gone for 7 years straight, you end up feeling that if you don't take pictures one year, it won't cause some kind of world collapse.  

Next, Day 6::Ogden Train Museum and Games at the Park

3 comments:

Kara said...

Lisa, I love that you are taking your family to places around Utah. So cool to educate your kids about the great spaces there. I loved the Bean Museum as a kid.

Julie L said...

One of my favorite things about Lehi has always been the community pride during Round-Up week. It happened right after we returned from our honeymoon, and just immediately I felt like I was a full-fledged member of the city. So glad you still feel a draw to return for that!

LaurieW said...

Okay seriously - I read the title and actually thought it was going to be a museum about BEANS! Looks amazing!