Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 1::Utah Olympic Park

The first day of our staycation, we spent it at the Utah Olympic Park in Park City, UT. It was definitely more fun than I had anticipated.  There were MANY athletes practicing in different areas.  
 
In this picture, you can see a couple of ways they're practicing.  One is flying in the air coming off the jumps while others are practicing the jumping techniques on the big trampolines in the background.  Pretty cool.
We LOVED seeing the athletes practicing.  Especially from the HIGH jumps!
 
My two future skiers.
 
Hanging out with Powder, Coal and Copper. The 2002 Olympics Mascots.
 
Holding the Olympic Torch.  Allison's quite the runner. 
If you ask her, she'll tell you it's her superhero power.
 
Yes, I may be strong, but helpers are always a good idea!
 
The CUTEST torch holder...EVER!
and
EEEEwwww...is Steven doing what I think he's doing!?! 
 
This curling ball...puck...STONE.  Curling Stone (Thank you Kara!) surprised all of us, most of all me, with how HEAVY it is!  
42 lbs!  Wowza!
 
Utah Olympic Pins for the avid pin collector.  I was never into this hobby, but there were some pretty cool pins there.  AND this is only 600 pins.  A fraction of what you could get.  AMAZING!Cool Runnings...the bobsleds are not nearly as easy to get in and out of as the athletes make it look. 
 
I still can't imagine flying down the ice in one of these.  SCARY! 
This was definitely worth the trip.  We had a great time and didn't even get to see it all. 

2 comments:

Kara said...

What a cool idea to go and visit there! I love hands-on places. For the record, it's a curling stone. The ONLY reason I know that is because of where I live. Curling is NOT a sport in my book. I've made a few enemies with that opinion. hehe.

Al and Jenny said...

That looks like a blast! Maybe I need to go there next time I'm in Utah! I love how you find so many different things to do in Utah, both last summer and this summer. Keep it up! I love learning about all of the things the state has to offer that I wasn't even aware of.