Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's TRADITION!

In my family growing up we've had a tradition...
Making Sugar Cookies!
Yup, every December, we get together the FIRST Sunday and
make these yummy shaped treats. 

Lucky for me, I get to be the one in charge every year. 
It's been this way for YEARS. 
I made the dough at home so it would chill enough to be set.
Then made the frosting at my parents house. 

There's NO WAY I could make the frosting at MY house...Why, you ask?
MY DAD....LOVER of all things frosting
He hovers around me as I'm making the smooth, creamy buttercream frosting
so he can be the official taste-tester.
Spoonful after spoonful, he "tests"
then will give his "seal of approval"

Which will then allow us to begin the frosting and decorating process.
The FAVORITE part of all the kids.

Unless you're THIS Mister...

His favorite part was licking the frosting OFF the cookie...about 4 times.
Yup.  The cookie was never touched except by a tongue getting every last bit of frosting off.
The cookie...an ooey gooey mess. 
GROSS...
I think our Mister's mouth was green for a couple of days after.

These are the cookies I, miss anal-retentive, frosted. 
I completely {HEART} Red Hots on my cookies.

I LOVE our fun family tradition!
...now back to the gym...

3 comments:

Kara said...

I love, love, love that your family all gets together for a tradition at the beginning of the month! What kickoff to the season! So much fun and so cute :)

Julie L said...

For me Christmas never comes without the sugar cookies and frosting. Guess it didn't make it this year - (well, unless we count frosting cookies at Bill and Steph's. But there I was just a bystander.) Next year - next year I will have a stove and oven and I WILL bake sugar cookies and make a frosting mess all over the kitchen, I WILL! This just looks like Heaven-Made Fun!

Al and Jenny said...

We are a sugar cookie family too. I have great memories of this tradition over the years. How fun for you guys!!