Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fiesta Wheat and Bean Salad

A friend of mine made this salad for a group of us and we all ate it with rave reviews. So, after falling in love with wheat recently, I decided I should make it for my Enrichment Night for the ladies there to enjoy and see how AWESOME their food storage really is! Boy was I right! Just about EVERYONE loved it! Click HERE to get the recipe so you can make it, too. DELICIOUS!!!! You will not be disappointed! There are a lot of recipes this author has published for using food storage, too that are fantastic! Take a minute to peruse them and let me know if you try any. I'd love to get more reviews!

BTW, here's the recipe to get the basic wheat berries you'll be using in the salad. They're delicious on their own as breakfast cereal or mixed with rice as an additional grain. Amazing little things, aren't they!?

4 c. raw whole wheat
10 c. water
1 T. salt

Oil a large (4 quart or larger) slow cooker and fill with wheat, water, and salt. Cover and cook on low all night, 8-10 hours. Cooked wheat may be bagged and stored in the refrigerator for at least a week or in the freezer for months.

Once you have a small supply of cooked wheat berries prepared, try experimenting with adding a cup to your favorite soups, chicken salads, or casseroles. When combined with regular white rice it makes a very simple—but healthy—pilaf.

3 comments:

PheMom said...

That is awesome! I used to make some salads like this for Dusty for his lunches - he would love this!

Amy said...

Sounds yummy! I think i need to work on making more and using food storage right now I am just trying to get through the next 8weeks...well I am telling myself 6weeks, crossing my fingers!

sandi said...

I think I will make that tonight. I even put it on my blog because my son and daughter in law were given the challenge in their ward to live off their food storage for 10 days. No advance notice or anything. The bishop just stopped by and asked them to start doing it right away. Needless to say that she is now a believer in food storage and would love all the recipes she can get her hands on. Thanks. I can always count on you for good ones.