Saturday, July 3, 2010

Spring Harvest

I've always wanted to grow peas, but always seem to forget that they need to go in the ground MUCH earlier than the rest of what I normally grow.  So, they tend to get forgotten.  Not this year.  Steven's Dad brought over a TON of pea seeds for us to use.  And USE we did!  He also told us the seeds were somewhere around 10 years old!  Check these little babies out!  I don't think we'll need to worry about "expired" seeds anymore.  They did AMAZING! We even let them grow on the vine a few more days to plump up.  The kids are/were enjoying picking the pods right off the vine and snacking...bingo!  THAT's exactly what I wanted to happen!  Veggie eating CAN be fun! 

Well, today I harvested all the peas.  It was a sad day. They did such a good job doing their job, that I wanted to keep them in the ground to show off how awesome of a gardener I am.  Although, I have some prettily brown stained hands from pulling weeds and plants that can show that off, too.  Oh well.  Now that they're all out, I need to plant something else in their place.  Hm...any ideas?

**Note: In my garden I've currently got growing, corn, banana squash (it's looking really sad so I hope it'll be okay.), spaghetti squash, 3 zucchini, 6 bell pepper, 4 cucumber, 4 tomato, 1 broccoli, 4 red potato, 1 Yukon gold potato, 1 acorn squash, 1 watermelon.  I need to get my beans in the ground, but I've already got the space for them ready.

I hope you're having a great summer and taking the time to get outside for fun and possibly garden a bit. It sure is therapeutic for me!!