
Girls are so much fun and mine is no exception! I have a daughter who LOVES to help me in the kitchen. I have a set of cookbooks called, "101 things to do with _____". She's pretty much claimed as hers all the "cake mix" versions! So, anytime I need to pull out a cookbook to look something up, she tells me she needs to get her books out to help me. It's ADORABLE really! Well, for the last few days she's been wanting me to bake treats with her. Last time it was Banana Nut Cookies with frosting that she chose and ended up not liking at all. This time it was brownies! Yay! Who doesn't LOVE a good brownie, right!?! Well, we pulled out Hershey's version and, because there was a picture to go with it, THAT was the recipe we were using this time!
My review...well, they tasted like they came from a box, unfortunately, but not bad at all. I will confess that I'm a frosted brownie lover, though, and I didn't want to mess with that with my Jr. Baker.
So, if you're looking for a FANTASTIC homemade brownie recipe, look no further than Better Homes & Gardens big cookbook. The recipe they have for Fudgy Brownies is INCREDIBLE! Thanks to Ashley for clueing me in on this recipe. BTW, Dutch cocoa makes a world of difference when baking anything with cocoa powder, just in case you were wondering.
FUDGY BROWNIES
1/2 c. butter
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 6 T unsweetened cocoa powder & 1T oil)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool. (skip this step if using cocoa powder and oil.)
2. Meanwhile, grease a square baking pan and set aside. Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in the vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to the chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. If desired, stir in nuts. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes for 8" pan or 25 minutes for 9" pan. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Top with favorite frosting recipe if desired. The Chocolate-Cream Cheese frosting recipe that goes with this recipe wasn't my favorite, so I didn't plan on sharing it. Sorry.
3 comments:
I am excited for a little girl to bake with :) I am also SUPER excited to be done with Gestational Diabetes so I can also EAT the goods :)
They look really yummy!
Yummy! I made brownies last night with a white frosting and crunch bar chunks. Doug got a square, but was sad to hear my intention in making them was to take to sisters who had babies and birthdays. I think they were pretty tasty, maybe I will make these!
Post a Comment